Beef massaman curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 85g unsalted peanuts
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 4 tbsp massaman curry paste (we used Bart)
- 600g stewing beef steak, cut into large chunks
- 450g waxy potatoes, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (available from Thai shops or dried from supermarkets)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp palm or soft light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced, to serve
- jasmine rice, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, then roast the peanuts on a baking tray for 5 mins until golden brown. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop. Reduce oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- STEP 2
Heat 2 tbsp coconut milk (use the cream on top if there is any) in a large casserole dish with a lid. Add the curry paste and fry for 1 min, then stir in the beef and fry until well coated and sealed.
- STEP 3
Stir in the rest of the coconut with half a can of water, the potatoes, onion, lime leaves, cinnamon, tamarind, sugar, fish sauce and most of the peanuts. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 2 hrs in the oven until the beef is tender.
- STEP 4
Sprinkle with sliced chilli and the remaining peanuts, then serve straight from the dish with jasmine rice.