Baked Swiss chard
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- oil or butter, for greasing
- 1kg Swiss chard , stems cut into 1cm pieces and leaves into quarters
- 200ml double cream
- 1 garlic clove , crushed to a paste with sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 200g parmesan , grated (or vegetarian alternative)
- 75g dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- STEP 1
Put a pan of salted water on to boil and cook the chard stalks for 2 mins until tender. Remove the stalks with a slotted spoon. Add the leaves and cook for 30 secs-1 min. Drain and reserve 200ml of the cooking water. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer, then add the garlic and cook for 2 mins. Whisk in the water, egg yolks and 140g Parmesan, and let them all melt together and bubble for 3 mins.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Add the chard to the saucepan, season, mix well and tip into a greased baking dish. Top with the breadcrumbs, thyme and remaining Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 15 mins. Remove the foil and cook for 15 mins more until golden and bubbling.