Baked aubergines with cannellini beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 aubergines , halved lengthways (leave the stem on)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 thyme sprig , leaves picked
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 400g can cannellini bean , drained and rinsed
- 25g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Using the tip of a knife, score the cut side of the aubergines with a criss-cross pattern. Place in a snug roasting dish or tin. Rub with half the oil, season and bake for 30 mins or until tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for about 8 mins until soft. Add the thyme leaves, tomatoes, beans and half a can of water. Simmer down for about 8 mins until thick, then season.
- STEP 3
Spoon the beans under and around the aubergine halves. Scatter with Parmesan and bake for 10 mins more until golden.