Blueberry Chicken Casserole
Member recipe by healthyscotty
Healthy, simple and tasty. A one-pot boost of protein and anti-oxidants.
- 150g (usually 1 whole box) of blueberries (fresh, not frozen).
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 skinless chicken thighs.
- 1 onion.
- A handful of fresh parsley leaves.
- 2 tsp sugar.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4.
- Chop the onion into slices but do not dice it. The slow cooking will take care of it. Spread the sliced onion in the bottom of a casserole dish and add the parsley.
- Chop all the fat off the chicken parts. What looked like a large amount of chicken in the recipe does not look so large after it has been stripped of the bad stuff.
- Dry fry the chicken parts on both sides for approx 30 seconds until it goes white. Yes dry fry, do not use any oil.
- Remove from the frying pan, chop the chicken up into smaller parts then spread in the casserole dish.
- Put all of the blueberries into a blender with a third of a glass of water. Blend it then pour it over the casserole, stir in the sugar and then bake for 2 hours with a lid on.
- When you pull it out after 2 hours it may look burnt but it is just the colour that this unusual dish gives upon finish. Stir it a bit and it will go to a lighter blue.