Tortillas by Esther Nelson
Member recipe by ewelinajohnson
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1.Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening to resemble cornmeal. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
- 2.Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Lubricate top with oil, put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- 3.Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and proceed to roll out into size and thickness you prefer.
- 4.Cook on top of stove over medium heat using a cast iron grill or heavy skillet until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two.
- Keep stacked and warm inside a clean dish towel.