Feta and Spinach Cannelloni
Member recipe by sholdway
Greek-ised version of the Italian classic, the cayenne pepper and jalapenos add a certain zing
- Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Medium, chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tin Tomatoes (Italian, whole)
- 1 Bay leaf
- Cannelloni Filling
- 200g Feta Cheese
- 250g Spinach
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 8 Lasagne sheets
- 6 Jalapenos (green, from the jar, chopped finely)
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Rather than use dried cannelloni, this recipe involves part-boiling lasagne sheets and rolling them into tubes, which gives a better flavour and ensures the pasta is cooked through. Cook the tomato sauce and the filling separately (but at the same time) and serve with a simple tomato and onion salad, mixed salad, or purple sprouting broccoli.
- Tomato Sauce. Fry onion covered for about 10 minutes until translucent. Add garlic, cook for another minute, stir to prevent sticking. Then add the tomatoes and the bay leaf, chop with a wooden spoon and simmer for 20 minutes. Finally, add freshly ground pepper.
- Cannelloni Filling. Wash the spinach then cook until wilted. Drain, put into a bowl and crumble in the feta. Add cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Cannelloni. Part cook the lasagne sheets for about 7 minutes. Cook in a lot of oil to prevent sticking and once cooked transfer to a pan of cold water (this helps to prevent the lasagne from sticking).
- Work quickly: with each sheet of lasagne put an eighth of the feta and spinach mix on top, squidge it into a sausage shape along the long edge of the lasagne sheet, and roll into a tube. (Hint: use a palette knife). Place the sheet into a greased baking tray. Repeat for the other sheets.
- Cover the cannelloni with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with oregano, pepper and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Dot the jalapenos on top.
- Cook in a preheated fan oven at 180C (190C non-fan) for 30-40 minutes, until browned but not burnt.