Member recipe by bearnaise
This is the traditional and easy way to make a home made steak pie. It takes a few hours in the oven but you can be doing something else while it cooks!
- a pound and a half of best rump steak trimmed of all fat and cubed 1inch by 1 inch
- puff pastry (buy in or make yourself)
- plastic sandwich bag
- salt and fine white pepper
- Half a pint of beef stock (made with a good quality cube if you have to)
- Put the oven on 230 C, nice and hot. Put the cubed steak with flour and a generous amount of salt and pepper in a sandwich bag and shake around until all the cubes of steak are generously covered with flour
- Get a deep pie dish and put the steak making the mound of cubed beef higher in the middle
- Fill the pie dish a quarter full with the stock
- Roll out the puff pastry till thin. Take a half inch strip off it enough to go round the edge of the pie dish, but first brush the edge of the pie dish with milk or it won't stick. Then brush the top of the strip with milk too and then you can put the rolled out pastry on the top of the pie making sure that you press it on top of the strip all the way round. To make sure I go round the edge with a fork to make sure there is a good bind between the pastry cover and the strip or the stock may come out and spoil the look! Make a hole in the middle. With left over pastry you can decorate the pie with different shapes or letters what you like. Make a little piece of ball shaped pastry to go in the oven with the pie, this can cover the hole later when the pie is served.
- Brush the pie with milk or beaten egg all over to get the glazed look. Put the pie in the oven for ten minutes or until it is browned. Take it out and cover with metal foil and put it back in for a couple of hours, turning the heat down to 170 C. By then the steak will have cooked, but before serving test the tenderness of the meat with a skewer through the hole. Add the rest of the stock through the hole, the heat and the flour will thicken it.
- Serve with gravy and mash and veg. Delicious and easy, the preparation does take time though.
- Variations: add kidney chopped up but do not shake up with the flour, too sticky, just place in the pie with the steak and distribute. Also nice with oysters!