Lottie's Luscious Apple Pie
Member recipe by l-mungavin
- For the sweet shortcrust pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 100g Stork margarine
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- 25g brown demerara sugar, for the crunchy topping
- For the filling:
- 4 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- A carton of blackberries
- 50g golden caster sugar
- For the glaze for the pastry:
- 1 small egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6. Grease a glass ovenproof plate using butter paper.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the sugar. Place the fat into the bowl and cut using a blunt knife. With cold hands (very important!) rub the fat into the flour until it makes bread crumbs, remembering to lift it high to keep the pastry airy and light. Make a well in the mixture and add the water spoon by spoon, using a blunt knife to bring the mixture together. When it has almost formed a dough, use your hands. Roll out the dough on a well-floured surface to a thickness of approx. 5mm.
- Arrange the apple slices on the plate, leaving a 1cm gap between the edge of the plate. Wash the blackberries (don't do this earlier, or they will become soggy!), allow them to drain and then arrange with the apple. Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar over, to taste. Don't worry if the fruit is piled quite high.
- Sparingly paint water around the edge of the plate. Place the pastry over the fruit and cut to size using a sharp knife and a neat, slashing motion. Crimp the edges with a fork. Make 4 double holes to let the air out. Whisk the egg with the milk and liberally apply the glaze all over the top of the pie. Then, sprinkle the brown demerara sugar over.
- Bake for approx. 40 mins, until the top is golden brown.
- *TIP*: If you have any leftover pastry, use it to make decorations for the top of the pie e.g. flowers/leaves. "Glue" on using the glaze.