Member recipe by vstothard
- 1 lb 9 oz chuck steak
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 2 bay leaves
- knob of butter
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 pint beef stock
- 4 field mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mushroom seasoning or worcestershire sauce
- 14 oz shortcrust pastry
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 beaten egg, to glaze
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, then fry the onions for 3-4 mins, stirring. Fry the steak for 2-3 mins. Add the herbs and stock. Stir until thickened and coming to the boil. Add the mushrooms and ouree, lower the heat, then simmer covered for about 1/2 hour until the meat is tender.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. When the meat is cooked remove the bay leaves, season, add mushroom seasoning or worcestershire sauce, then cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry. Cut out the lid slightly bigger than the dish. Cut strip of pastry the width of the rim. Stir parsley into the meat and transfer to the dish.
- Brush the dish rim with egg and put the lid on. Seal the edges, knock them up with the back of a knife, then flute edge. Cut a slit in the lid, brush the pastry with the egg. Bake for 20 mins then brush with egg again and cook for 10 mins further.