- 500g (1 lb 2 oz) potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion, finely sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Peel and grate potatoes. Squeeze out the excess water.
- Add garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and tip the potato mixture into the pan. Flatten with a spatula to form a 'pancake'.
- Cook over a low heat until the bottom is well-browned. Carefully slide it onto a plate using a spatula, then heat a little more oil in the pan and quickly flip the pancake back into the pan onto the uncooked side. (Non-stick re-usable baking parchment is handy!)
- Cook until the other side is well browned.