Never Fail Dumplings Recipe
Member recipe by del-ici-ous
Posted by kdipaolo at recipegoldmine.com 6/19/01 4:53:32 pm Very tasty Never Fail Dumplings Recipe for stews etc Can also be served as a dessert by cooking in boiling water and served with pancake syrup or jam drizzled over them
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 medium egg
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Beat the egg well then add the 6T of cold water. Measure the Water carefully.
- Add the oil and salt and whisk together.
- Mix the baking-powder and flour together. Blend the two mixes into a smooth batter quickly.
- Drop into boiling stew and cover continuing to boil for 15- 20 mins. Try to resist the urge to peek too often - the dumplings will rise and produce a light tender crust - a cold draught will cause them to fall.
- They can also be served as a dessert by cooking in boiling water and served with pancake syrup or jam drizzled over them.
- As a young boy scout in England during the war these were or main camp dessert as the ingredients were usually available from our skimpy home "Rations". There we called them "Sinkers". We cooked and ate them by the dozen with our "fresh-air" appetites and the name described the resulting feeling in our young bellies quite well ! When I am travelling I usually make up the dry ingredients into batches and carry them in zip-lock bags ready to add liquid and the egg when I am ready to use them.