Black Pudding Croquette
Member recipe by barfly
- For The Croquettes
- 280g Black Pudding, peeled and chopped roughly
- 6 Scallions - finely chopped
- 2 Sweet Red Peppers, quartered, deseeded & cut into 1 cm dice
- 175g potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 50ml Malt vinegar
- Seasoned flour, as required
- 2 beaten eggs, or more if required
- 225g fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Oil for frying
- For The Compote
- 600ml water
- 225g Prepared Fruit, eg rhubarb or gooseberries
- 350g caster sugar
- In a food processor, blend the roughly chopped black pudding, spring onions, red peppers, potatoes, mustard and vinegar.
- Season to taste and mould the mixture into cylinderical shapes abot 5cm long.
- Roll these in the flour, then the lightly beaten eggs and finally the breadcrumbs
- Shallow fry in plenty of hot oil until golden brown, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the sugar in the water and bring up to the boil to make a syrup, then add the goosberries and cook gently for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Strain off the excess juice, then arrange the warm compote on heated serving plates with the reserved croquettes and a salad garnish.
- TIP. If using fruit with more natural sweetness, the sauce may needa squeeze of lemon juice.