Grandma's Chicken Casserole
Member recipe by paulbarton69
This is a recipe I improvised when I was yearning for a chicken casserole like my Grandma used to make. You can taste the healthy goodness it! Perfect supper food for this time of year! I love this served with grilled asparagus and a baked potato.
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 4 trimmed leeks, sliced
- 2 tspns butter
- slug of olive oil
- bunch fresh sage
- plain flour to thicken
- 200ml chicken stock
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
- bay leaf
- Start by heating the butter and oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped vegetables and soften.
- Add the diced chicked and fresh sage leaves (not the stalks), and cook until golden brown
- Remove from heat and add flour to soak up all the veg and chicken juices, then add water, chicken stock, and a bay leaf. Season to taste, and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Cook in a preheated oven, 180c, for about an hour.
- You could also add sweetcorn about halfway through the oven cooking time for some extra taste and colour, and it also works really well if you add dumplings!