Sarah's lemon cupcakes
Member recipe by sarahjane_connett
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
I love baking cupcakes and this is a mix of a few recipes i've tried. Really yummy citrus icing gives them a tang.
- Cake ingrediants
- 110g butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g self-raising flour, sieved
- 3 drops lemon extract
- For the icing
- 175g icing sugar, sieved
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of lemon juice from a fresh lemon
- Lemon rind zest
- 3 drops of yellow food colouring
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4. Put baking cases into a 12 cake/muffin tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Beat in the eggs and the lemon extract
- Add the flour, beat the mixture until lump free (I use an electric beater).
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for about 20/25 minutes (check with a skewer). Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Add lemon juice to the icing sugar, one tablespoon at a time until the icing is smooth but not too runny. Add food colouring.
- Spread icing on each cupcake (cakes should be cool), I put a dollop of icing in the centre of each cake, let it settle outwards naturally and push out lightly to edges of the cupcake with a knife. As the cupcake tops are quite moist, youÃ¢ÂÂll get crumbs in the icing if you spread roughly.
- Sprinkle lemon rind on to icing