Thelma's Amazing Fruit Cake
Member recipe by carolynjill
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Slices
Egg-free fruit cake with no added sugar or fat, which tastes amazingly good!
- 284ml (1/2 pint) cold water
- 227g (1/2 lb) pitted dates
- grated rind and juice of one orange
- 454g (1 lb) mixed fruit
- 56g (2oz) ground almonds
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 170g (6oz) wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp carob powder (optional)
- Flaked almonds
- Put the dates and the water in a pan and simmer until the dates start to break up. Remove from the heat and add the orange juice.
- In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients together.
- Combine the date mixture with the other ingredients and transfer to a greased and lined loaf tin. You can use one 2 lb tin or two 1 lb tins.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 160C / gas mark 3 for an hour and a half to an hour and three quarters.
- Allow to cool in tin for 15 minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.