Rory's Eton Mess
Member recipe by lokuthula
Fresh cream, Stawberries and crunchy meringue all blobbed together.
- For the Meringues
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- For the "mess"
- 450g fresh strawberries - hulled
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 550 ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Line a 30 x 40 cm baking tray with non-stick baking paper
- Whisk the egg whites in a completely clean bowl until soft peaks begin to form. They should tip over when you remove the whisk.
- Continue to whisk, adding the caster sugar one tablespoon at a time until all the sugar has been whisked in.
- Take rounded tablespoons of the mixture and place them in rows on the lined baking tray. Place the tray in the centre of the oven, turning the heat down to 140C and leave the meringues to cook for 1 hour. After that, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to dry overnight or until the oven is cold.
- When ready to serve the pudding, chop half the strawberries and place in a blender together with the icing sugar. Whiz to a puree, and then pass through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Chop the rest of the strawberries and whip the double cream to floppy stage. All the above come be done in advance.
- When ready to serve, break up the meringues into 3 cm pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped strawberries and fold the cream in around them.
- Gently fold in all but about 2 tablespoons of the puree to give a marbled effect.
- Pile into a serving dish/glass and spoon the rest of the puree over the surface. Serve as soon as possible.