Member recipe by candicelli
- Meat Sauce
- 500g ground beef
- 1 beef stock cube
- 10 ml olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, creamed
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 10ml oregano, dried or fresh
- 500ml water
- Bechamel Sauce
- 500ml milk
- 10ml butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- a handful of cheddar cheese, grated
- About 6 sheets of dry lasagne
- Grated cheddar cheese for sprinkling on top
- Heat olive oil and add stock cube, diced onions and garlic, along with dried oregano. Allow the onions to brown.
- Add ground beef once onions have browned, and cook over moderate heat until mostly cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir. Add water and allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare bechamel. Add butter to a hot saucepan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add flour and mix into butter to form a choux.
- Gradually add the milk in small amounts, while stirring with a wooden spoon or whisk to avoid lumps forming. Continue until sauce has thickened, adding flour in small amounts already mixed with cold water, if necessary.
- Once meat sauce has cooked for an hour, spoon about half into a glass or ceramic baking tray. Cover with half of the bechamel, and then a layer of lasagne. Repeat. The final layer should be bechamel sauce, topped with a generous helping of grated cheddar cheese. Bake for at least 50 minutes, or according to instructions on lasagne packaging.