Mee (Spaghetti) Goreng
Member recipe by yoonsy
It is a simple take of the popular mee goreng (mamak) found in the streets of Penang, Malaysia. It was the result of many years abroad and the constant craving for food from home!
- 200g spaghetti cooked in boiling water with salt and oil..the usual way
- 1-2 tbp peanut oil
- 1 garlic (pip) , 1 large red chilli* and 2 shallots (all blitz in a processor)
- a generous handful of bean sprouts
- some shredded cabbage
- 1-2 tbp heinz tomato ketchup
- 6-7 large shrimps - tiger prawns (uncooked, deveined and shelled)
- 3 tbp soya sauce
- 1 tbp kicap manis (dark soya sauce) - optional
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- * if you like it redder - use the large red chillies , if less hot, take out the seeds of the chillies)
- Garnish :
- 1 stem of spring onions - chopped
- a tsp of fried onions/shallots
- 2 tsp lime juice sprinkle over finished dish
- 1 tsp chopped fresh coriander to sprinkle over the noodles
- Prepare the ingredients as above so they are prepared when you are ready to fry them in a wok!
- heat peanut oil in a wok or frying pan. Add garlic/chilli/shallots mixture and fry until fragrant .
- Add shrimps until half cooked, add the cabbage, stir fry for about 2 mins on medium heat.
- Add spaghetti , and then all the seasonings. Mix well and fry for another 5 mins, add the bean sprouts and fry for further 1 min.
- Garnish and serve . Enjoy!