Mashed Pumpkin & Pinto Beans
Member recipe by marm1te
A simple dish which uses ingredients in an 'Aztec' inspired vegetarian recipe.
- 1 medium pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g can of drained and rinsed pinto beans
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 5. Put the pumpkin cubes in an oven proof dish with half the oil. Make sure the cubes are coated in the oil. Cover the dish and place in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- While the pumpkin is in the oven, fry the onion in the remaining oil for about 5 minutes or until soft and transparent. Add the chillies and garlic and fry for a further five minutes.
- Mash the cooked pumpkin with a potato masher. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, pinto beans, onion, chilli and garlic. Add the salt and black pepper. Mix well and return to the oven for around 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite corn bread or corn chips, sliced avocado or guacamole.