mum's bread pudding
Member recipe by jmaddern
fruity,spicy bread pudding with a special ingredient, a jar of mincemeat.
- chuck in as much as you like of the following: bread (preferably brown wholemeal) (not fresh) I sometimes use sliced
- milk (skimmed or semi)
- eggs beaten with a drop of milk
- luxury dried mixed fruit plus raisins
- mixed spice/cinnamon
- anything in storecupboard, e.g. jam/syrup
- small amount of flour to bind
- suet (beef or vegetarian) not too much!
- jar of mincemeat (1 or 2 if you are making a big one!)
- grated carrot
- soak the bread in the milk for 30mins/1 hr.
- squeeze out the bread
- mix all the other ingredients with the sloppy bread leaving the flour til last, add just enough to help bind it all
- lightly butter a roasting tin. Put the mixture in and smooth it down, then run a fork over it and sprinkle it with a little sugar
- bake in the oven fan 140 for an hour or so till browning on top. Don't overcook it or it'll dry it out. Enjoy hot or cold.