Member recipe by cdabee
A hearty, warm and deep flavoured dish ideal for cold winter nights.
- 1 brace Pheasants 1x Cock Bird 1 x Hen Bird
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 each Carrot diced
- 1 stick Celery chopped
- 1 pint Vegetable bullion
- 1 packet Chicken Chasseur mix Knorr
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 rashers Smoked bacon
- If you buy hung pheasants you will have to dress them, I don't bother plucking the birds I just skin them and remove the wing tips and feet.
- In a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of oil toss in the onions,carrot, celery, bacon and sweat gently for about five mins, put the joints in the saucepan and cover with the stock.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from the heat and cool quickly, cover and leave in the fridge overnight
- When required, skim the fat from the surface and discard, remove the meat from the stock, Drain and discard the stock leaving the veg, put this in a clean casserole dish, Remove the meat from the bones and cut into cubes put on top of the veg,
- Make up the packet of Chasseur mix and pour into the dish. Cover and put in a preheated oven 180c for thirty to forty mins or until piping hot. Thicken if required with cornflour.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.