Charlotte's Simple Sponge Cake
Member recipe by charlie_0308
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Slices
- 170g margarine
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180/fan Cream together margarine and caster sugar
- One at a time beat the eggs and add to the mixture with a tbsp of the flour
- Fold in the remaining flour and baking powder
- Split mixture into 2 sandwich tins and bake for about 20mins
- When done the cake/s should be golden brown and spongy to touch
- Tips: grease the tin with some extra margarine then coat with some extra flour for easy removal from the tin
- Filling idea: Whipped cream, rasberry jam and a layer of strawberries tastes and looks good in a cake.
- Filling idea: Try Chocolate Butter icing (icing sugar, cocoa, and butter) from a bit of chocolate indulgence.
- For a decorative finish place a doilie over the cake and sprinkle with icing sugar. carefully remove the doilie, leaving behind a pattern of sugar.