Parmasan Green Tomatoes
Member recipe by suetable1
- These amounts are as a vegetable portion, they are great done with bacon, or fried eggs. I found the big 'beefsteak' type gave the best results.
- Green tomatoe, I large or 2 medium each
- Flour, enough for coating, on a plate
- Egg, beaten for coating
- Italian cheese,ready grated type in a tub works best, shaken onto a plate.
- Bacon fat, oil, or butter/olive oil to fry.
- Slice the tomatoes about a 1/2'' or about 2 millimetres thick. Medium tomatoes cook best if you trim the top and the bottom off and then slice them in half.
- Dip each slice of the tomatoes into flour, shake off the excess.
- Dip each slice into the beaten egg and then lay onto the parmasan, turn them over to coat each side
- Fry the tomatoes in hot, but not smoking, fat. Turn after a few seconds to seal both sides. Reduce the heat and cook gently
- Turn the slices occasionally during cooking. Cook to your taste. I do them still firm.