Salt Baked Celeriac
Member recipe by johnfrw
A wonderful use of celeriac and quite a fun centrepiece for the table.
- 1 large celeriac, base sliced off, green top left on
- 110g/4oz free-range egg whites (about three medium egg whites)
- 700g/1lb 8oz table salt
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 110ml/4fl oz olive oil
- sea salt flakes, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/350F/Gas 5.
- Place the celeriac into a roasting tray.
- Mix the egg whites, table salt and rosemary together in a large bowl until the mixture forms a paste.
- Cover the celeriac in a 2cm/ÃÂ¾in thick layer of the salt paste, ensuring there are no gaps. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- When the salt-baked celeriac has cooked, remove it from the oven, place on a plate and serve - someone will enjoy smashing the salt crust, or......
- chip away the salt crust and scoop out the baked celeriac into a bowl. Add a splash of olive oil to the celeriac, then season, to taste, with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Mix the celeriac with a fork until combined.
- from Adam Byatt on Saturday Kitchen