Member recipe by wendylove
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 200ml red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2-3 large aubergines thickly sliced
- 75g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 75g parmesan, grated
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/fan 180 degrees C. Heat 1tbsp oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, stirring until soft. Add the garlic and cumin and fry for 1 minute. Add the puree and fry for 1 more minute. Turn up the heat, add the lamb, season and fry for 5 minutes until browned all over. Pour away any excess oil.
- Add the wine and cinnamon, then, after 2-3 minutes, add the tomatoes, 100ml water, the sugar and oragano. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 mins, stirring occasionally, until thick. Season.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush the aubergines with the rest of the oil, season and griddle on both sides until golden brown. Set aside on kitchen paper.
- Make a white sauce. Melt the butter in a small pan, add the flour and stir to make a roux (paste). Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Place over a gentle heat and simmer, stirring until thickened. Remove from the heat, stir in the egg yolk and half the cheese. Season to taste.
- Layer the aubergine and mince in a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Repeat then spread the white sauce on top. Scatter with the remaining cheese and sprinke with the nutmeg.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden. Serve with a green salad.