hungarian potato pie
Member recipe by annahorvath
It's an easy, simple dish. A traditional hungarian recipe, although every family has their own secret "ingredient".
- 1,5 kg potato
- 8 eggs
- o,3-0,4 kg hungarian sausage with garlic and paprika (or chorizo)
- 1 big onion
- 200 ml yougurt
- 200 ml cream
- salt, pepper, nutmeg,
- butter or oil
- Boil the potatoes, until totally cooked (you can easily insert a sharp knife into), and the eggs as well. This can be done one day ahead.
- Butter the cassarole and preheat the oven (180 C). Peel the potatoes and the hard boiled eggs. Slice all of them, along with the sausages. Peel and slice the onion too.
- Put one layer of potatoes at the bottom of the dish, then one layer of eggs with sausage. Put some onion over them. Season with the spices and with salt.
- Mix the yougurt with the cream, pour some over the layers.
- Continue until you have used up all the ingredients, put the remaining cream+yougurt mixture on the top. Put it into the oven and bake 1 hour, or until the is golden (not deep brown :)! Let it stand for 15 min. before eating (it's piping hot inside) You can eat it with some salad, or pickled vegetables.