Quick Nut Free Fruit Cake
Member recipe by jencook
- 150g Butter or Margarine
- 150ml milk ,whole or semi skimmed
- 6 Tbs Golden Syrup
- 225g Currants
- 225g Raisins
- 100g Sultanas
- 100g Chopped Mixed Peel
- 100g Dried Apricots( or any other dried friut ) Chopped
- 225g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
- Pinch of Grated Nutmeg
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- Place butter, milk, syrup, dried fruits ,peel and apricots in a saucepan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Simmer gently for five minutes then allow to cool slightly.
- Place the sieved flour and spices in a mixing bowl and add the eggs.DO NOT STIR AT THIS STAGE.
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda in to the cooled fruit mixture and pour into the flour.
- Mix well and pour into a lined and greased 18cm cake tin and bake at 150C / Gas 2 for 75-90 mins
- Check to see if cake is cooked and then turn out on a wire tray to cool