Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Member recipe by elaineoconnell
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Pie
- For the dough:
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 6 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
- For the filling:
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 6 cups strawberries, halved
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse the mixture several times to combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse again for about 30 seconds.
- Add the shortening and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in the water and mix until the dough is moistened.
- Turn the dough out into a large bowl and use piece and 1/3 for the other. Wrap each piece separately in plastic wrap, pressing down to form a disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly until some of the juices from the fruit are released. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly oil the pie dish.
- Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll the larger piece of dough into a piece to cover the preprepared pie plate.
- On a baking sheet that will fit into the freezer and dusted with flour, roll the remaining piece of dough into a rectangle. Trim the rough edges. Cut the rectangle into 12 (13"long) strips, then place the pan in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pan in an even layer. Lay the dough strips on top of the fruit in a lattice pattern. Use your fingers to pinch the edges of the dough strips and the bottom dough layer together. Sprinkle the top of the pie with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake the pie on the second to lowest rack position of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the pastry is golden. Cool the pie to allow the filling to gel, then serve