Member recipe by amzling89
A great dish as a cold starter for the summer or as a hot main course to warm you up through the winter.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 rashers of unsmoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp each of fresh chives, parsley, basil and marjoram
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 25g butter
- Half an iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1L chicken/vegetable stock (can be more or less if desired)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- 150ml whipping cream
- 40g grated chedder cheese
- In a large pan heat the oil and add the chopped onion and bacon and fry until brown. Stir in the butter and lettuce and cook for 2minutes.
- Remove from heat and add stock and tinnned tomatoes.
- Return to boil, season with salt and pepper. Add the fresh tomatoes and simmer for 5minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in a food processor until almost smooth with fine lumps. Return to low heat, add the cream and stir, without allowing it to boil.
- Serve into dishes and add croutons and a sprinkle of grated cheese, if desired.
- Can also be done without the bacon, using vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.