Member recipe by estellalewis
Traditional welsh cakes, nice at breakfast to warm you up,smash some saltanas or whatever you want in them=amazing. Although all recipes differ a little.
- 225g- Plain Flour
- 100g- Butter
- 75g- Caster Sugar
- 50g- Currents
- (Saltana's, Rasins, Orange Peel etc)
- 1/2 tsb- Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsb- Mixed Spice
- (But I end up putting way more)
- 1 Egg
- Pinch of Salt
- Some milk
- Sift the dry flour but this is'nt really necessary, after add the baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl.
- Use the rubbing-in method to rub the butter into the flour.
- Stir in the sugar and the currents and then crack the shell and pour in the egg.
- Mix to form a dough, if the mixture is dry, add some milk.
- Roll and cut on a floured chopping board or worktop until they are the right size, height and shape.
- Finally fry with some oil at a meduim temperature until golden.