My mother's fatless sponge
Member recipe by suemcgann
It is a georgeous, very light, sponge which is wonderful filled with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. The photo is of cream and home-made goosberry jam filling.
- 4 large eggs
- 179g castor sugar
- 56g plain flour
- 35g cornflour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 165C/fan, 185C, 350-375F. Line 2 X 8 inch sponge tins
- Seive the flour, baking powder and cornflour together.
- Seperate eggs and whisk egg whites until stiff.
- Whisk in sugar.
- Whish egg yolks and then add them to the whites, whisk altogether.
- Fold in flour, cornflour and baking powder and divide between the 2 tins.