Member recipe by lnguyen
- 500g chicken thigh fillets (or breast)
- 2tbsp fish sauce
- 1tbsp white sugar (preferably fine caster sugar)
- 1.5 lemongrass sticks finely diced
- 1 birds eye chilli (adjust amount to your liking)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp oil (sunflower preferred)
- 1 white onion (sliced)
- 125ml chicken stock
- For the garnish:
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- cracked pepper
- sliced green spring onions or fried red onions/shallots (optional)
- slice chicken into bite size pieces. combine with the fish sauce, sugar, 3/4 lemongrass, 1/2 chilli and 1 chopped garlic clove. Marinate for 2 hours (ideally marinated overnight, or if in a rush give it as much time in the marinate as possible). I've marinated for 10min and its fine.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, add the oil, remaining 3/4 lemongrass, 1/2 chilli, 2 chopped garlic cloves. Fry just until garlic starts to brown.
- Then add the chicken and add the onions and fry for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add the chicken stock and stir for 1min. Reduce the heat slightly and cook for a further 4 min or until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Put it into a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves, bit of cracked pepper, fried onions or spring onions. To serve with boiled jasmine rice.
- TIP: if the ingredients start to become dry in the pan at any stage, add water (or some of the chicken stock) to stop it from burning. You can also find the fried onions at oriental stores, they are a great garnish on pretty much any vietnamese dish!