Vietnamese fresh paper rolls
Member recipe by lnguyen
- For the rolls:
- 18 sheets of 22cm rice paper
- 80g of rice vermicelli
- 18 cooked prawns (or you can replace with cooked pork, chicken, or leave the meat out if you are vegetarian)
- 2 cups of shredded lettuce
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch perilla leaves (optional)
- There are 2 sauces that go well with this dish. My favourite is the hoisin.
- Hoisin Sauce:
- 3 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of roasted chopped nuts sprinkled on top
- pinch of chopped fresh chillis (optional)
- Dipping Fish Sauce:
- 2 tbsp of nuoc mam fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of water (or 3 for a less stronger taste)
- 1 tbsp of dissolved sugar
- 1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
- a dash of lime juice
- (adjust the amount of water to adjust the strength of the taste/smell)
- Firstly prepare the sauce. Simply mix the ingredients together and put into a small bowl. Keep it refridgerated until ready to serve.
- Put the noodles into boiling water for 5 min. strain and rinse them with cool water, then leave them to dry.
- Prepare the prawns by deveining and slicing them in half along the back. Prepare the rest of the ingredients and place the shredded lettuce, grated carrot, mint leaves, coriander sprigs, halved prawns in front of you. The noodles should have dried by now so place them on the table too. You will need some space to roll them up.
- Put some hot water into a large bowl, take a sheet of rice paper and dip the sheet into the water. This should soak it a bit to make it soft. Put the soft paper roll in front of you.
- Place 2 half prawns horizontally and faced down, about 2/3rds down the sheet. The filling should be aligned in the centre of the roll about 3/4 down (about 4 cm from the bottom).
- Top with some lettuce, grated carrot, a bit of vermicelli noodles, a sprig of coriander, and 3 mint leaves placed horizontally. Make sure you dont put too much filling or it will break the roll. The roll should be about 2inches in diameter.
- To form the roll, fold the sides into the centre over the filling. Then fold the bottom of the paper over and start rolling bottom to top. Tuck the filling under whilst rolling and form a tight roll.
- Serve 2 rolls per person with the sauce of your choice.