French Onion Soup
Member recipe by coopersned
A lovely tasty french onion soup that I always make for a dinner party!
- 2oz butter
- 1kg onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 dsp brown sugar
- 375ml white wine
- 750ml beef stock
- For the croutons
- 1 french stick
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat butter in a large pan and when it has melted add the onions and fry on a high heat for 2-3 mins
- Turn the heat down, add the garlic and sugard and sweat for at least 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat back up and deglaze the pan with a glass of the white wine scrapping all the bits of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rest of the wine and the beef stock and simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes and season to taste.
- White simmering the soup slice the french stick and drizzle with oliver oil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (until starting to crisp)
- When crisp rub with the garlic cloves, top with some grated cheese and grill until the cheese just starts to melt.