Potato Bake with Meatballs
Member recipe by t_davis85
This is a great simple dish that requires little preperation but has a delicious rustic feel to it. When served, the potatoes and tomatoes become slightly crispy but still tender while the sausage meatballs and basil give that flavoursome final touch.
- 400g potatoes, finely sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 300g passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 200ml hot water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 good quality sausages (veggie sausages are also suitable)
- 1-2 handfuls fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 handful parmesan cheese, finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C and in a roasting tin, place the potato slices along the bottom of the tin, creating a single but overlapping layer then add the red onion chunks and season with salt and lots of black pepper.
- Mix together the passata, hot water, garlic and sugar in a bowl and then pour the mixture over the potatoes and onion. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the sausages into bite size pieces and then peel the skin from each piece to create a meatball - if you're using veggie sausages just break them up into chunks. Scatter the meatballs and the chilli flakes (if you're using them) over the potatoes and onion and continue to cook in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Top the potato bake with the parmesan and basil leaves and then roast for a final 5 minutes. Serve immediately with warm crusty bread and/or a green leaf salad.