Member recipe by vinylskin
An easy and delicious chocolate cake recipe with decadent butter icing. I've yet to come across someone who doesn't love it!
- 390ml sugar
- 125g butter
- 5 tbsp sifted cocoa
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 190ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups cake flour
- 6 tbsp boiling water
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 500g sifted icing sugar
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- extra milk or cream
- 4 tbsp sifted cocoa
- 2 tsp strong coffee, dissolved in about 1tbsp of boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius. Then beat butter, sugar and cocoa together well.
- In a separate bowl, beat yolk of eggs and mix with milk and vanilla. Then add this egg mixture to creamed butter and beat very well.
- Gradually add sifted flour alternatively with water. Then fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and baking powder.
- Pour mixture into two prepared (20cm) round cake tins and bake for half an hour.
- To make icing, mix the icing sugar, butter and cocoa together and then add just enough of the coffee and milk/cream to get a smooth texture that is not too wet or runny.
- When cake turned out on cooling racks and cool - ice the centre and then top and sides with the butter icing. You can crumble a flake chocolate over the top. Or if you're feeling adventurous - before you ice the cake cover it in a layer of caramel (the one that comes in the tin).