Member recipe by anna2007
- 1 litre of milk
- 1 large onion studded with 13-16 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- half a tsp of grated numeg
- 1 whole loaf of day old sliced bread
- 25g of butter
- salt and pepper
- Put the studded onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, milk and nutmeg into the top half of a double boiler.
- Fill the bottom half of the double boiler with water and put the top half on top. Cover with a lid. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat until it is simmering. Leave to simmer for 2-3 hours, checking the level of water. If necessary add more water to the bottom of the double boiler.
- Remove all crusts from the bread and in a food processor make into bread crumbs. After the milk has been simmering for 2-3 hours gradually add the bread crumbs until the sauce is of thick porridge like consistency. Mix throughly and leave to infuse in the boiler for about 30 mins. Add the buttter and check for seasoning. Add salt and pepper. Serve with roast turkey or roast chicken.