Member recipe by gmfjemh
ServingsServes 1 - 20 Bars
A quick and easy any-time favourite treat, also great for giving as presents and for allowing the children to help.
- 250g butter
- 1 heaped TBSP golden syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups flour
- 2.5 cups porridge oats
- 1 level tsp bicarb of soda
- Preheat oven to 190C / fan 180C / gas 5. Combine sugar, oats and flour in bowl and put aside.
- Melt butter and syrup stirring gently with a wooden spoon. When bubbling add bicarb of soda - mixture will go fluffy and rise - immediately pour fluffy mixture into bowl with dry ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Grease shallow oven tray or baking sheet while mixture is cooling. Spread mixture evenly in oven tray then flatten until firm using your hands or back of wooden spoon - should not fall out when turned upside down (children love this step!). Bake for 15 minutes on middle shelf.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, cut into bars before cold. When cold remove from tray, place in container lined with greaseproof paper or baking parchment. Will keep for 4-6 days.