Leerdammer Souffle Surprises
Member recipe by emmasmith01
Delicious Leerdammer souffle - with haddock, almonds or sweet pepper filling
- 250ml pint of full cream milk.
- Grating of nutmeg.
- 1/2 onion
- 40g butter.
- 40g flour.
- 100g grated mature Leerdammer plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp English mustard.
- 3 eggs separated.
- Salt and white pepper.
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Surprise Fillings.
- 100g smoked haddock, 4 tbsp milk and 25g flaked almonds (optional) or 8 Peppadew sweet peppers,
- 1 tsp snipped chives.
- To make the Souffles, thickly butter 4 individual souffle dishes. Set oven to 180c, 160c fan, Gas 4.
- Place the milk in a small pan with the onion and a little grated nutmeg and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat then sieve the milk into a jug, discarding the onion.
- Melt the butter in a clean pan, and then stir in the flour. Slowly add the infused milk a little at a time, stirring constantly until you have a thick sauce.
- Take the sauce off the heat and add the cheese and mustard, stirring until the cheese has melted. Season and stir in the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add 1/3 to the sauce to loosen it. Transfer the sauce into the remaining egg whites and fold them together very gently with a metal spoon.
- To make the fillings either:
- Chop the peppers into tiny pieces and mix with the snipped chives or poach the haddock in a little milk for a few minutes and flake.
- Spoon the souffle mix into the buttered ramekins, spoon a little of your chosen filling into the centre and squash down into the mix with your finger.