Member recipe by shikoomkoom
Two light & airy halves of sponge, sandwiching a layer of generously spread, chunky strawberry jam & home-made double cream. Finished off with lashings of the sweetest sugar. Just pure delight.
- Sponge -
- 175g butter/margerine
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- Filling -
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam (hartley's with real fruit pieces is gorgeous!)
- 500ml double cream
- Set the oven to 180C. Butter 2 sandwich tins with a 20cm diameter
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then slowly add the beaten egg.
- Fold in the sifted flour and spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins
- Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from the tins
- Whip the cream until thick and use it to fill the sponge with the jam
- Dust liberally with icing sugar to serve