Spicy Barbecue Baked Chicken
Member recipe by swissseasider
When its too wet to barbecue outside, these chicken pieces marinated and baked in a spicy barbeque sauce bring the sunshine back.
- 2Kg chicken pieces (wings, thighs, drumsticks) skin left on.
- Chilli flakes
- For the sauce/marinade
- 1 medium onion
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 2 large red chillis (seeds left in if you want extra heat)
- 100g Brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp Tomato puree
- 250ml water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces. If not marinating place in one layer in a roasting tin and sprinkle liberally with chilli flakes and paprika.
- If marinating, place chicken pieces in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the sauce/marinade. Finely chop the onion, garlic and chilli and mix with the all the other ingredients except the water. Gradually add the water until the sauce has the consistency of a thick batter. Alternatively put all the ingredients except the water into a blender and blend to the appropriate consistency by adding the water gradually.
- If marinating, pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and set aside for two or three hours. When ready to cook, remove chicken from sauce and place in roasting tin as in Step 2. Retain the sauce.
- Put roasting tin on a high shelf in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and turn chicken pieces over and return to oven for a further 10 minutes. Remove from oven and drain any excess fat/juices. Pour over sauce and return to oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with white rice or pasta and salad