No Sugar Lemon Syrup Loaf Cake
Member recipe by sarahlabat
A Moist Lemon Syrup Loaf Cake using Granulated Sweetner (Candarel or Splenda) instead of Sugar.
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 10g Granulated Sweetner
- 2 Large Eggs
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- Pinch Salt (or use salted butter)
- 4 tablespoons Milk
- For the Syrup:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 heaped Tbsps Granulated Sweetner
- 3 Tbsps Limoncello Lemon Liqueur (optional)
- 23x13x7cm loaf tin, buttered and lined.
- Preheat Oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Butter and line loaf tin well, ensuring that the lining comes up a cm or so up the sides of the tin.
- Cream together butter & sweetner, add eggs and lemon zest, beating in well.
- Add Flour & Salt (if using), folding in gently but throughly.
- Then spoon into prepared loaf tin and put into oven.
- While the cake is cooking, get on with the syrup: put the lemon juice & sweetner into a saucepan and heat gently until sweetner is dissolved. Add the lemoncello to the syrup.
- Bake the cake for 45 mins, or until golden, risen in the middle (though it will sink a little on cooling) and an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven puncture the top of the loaf all over with a skewer. Pour over the syrup, ensuring the middle absorbs it as well as the sides, then leave it to soak up the rest.
- Leave the cake to cool COMPLETELY. If you try to take it out of the tin whilst warm it is liable to crumble as it is wet with syrup.