Rocky road cake
Member recipe by rosieiscoolforever
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Slices
- for cake;
- 225g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 225g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- for filling and topping;
- 35 chocolate covered caramels or malteasers
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 125g mini marshmallows
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- preheat the oven to 180 c / 350 f / gas mark 4. Grease 2 20cm round cake tins.
- for the cake , sift the flour , baking powder , cocoa powder and salt in a bowl. In a seperate bowl , beat the butter untill pale and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for a further 2 minutes. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each additon, then stir in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients , mixing well. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, dividing it evenly, and level the surface. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or untill firm to touch. Turn the akes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Cut small slits into the top of each sponge cake and set aside. For the filling and topping, put the chocolate caramels or malteasers into a saucepan with the milk and 25g of the marshamallows and heat gently untill melted.
- Pour the chocolate sauce mixture over the cake slices and pour the marshmallows and walnuts over the cake evenly and serve