Chocolate and Stout Pudding
Member recipe by u414451
An absolutely delicious pudding recipe, a real success in our restaurant for St Patrick's day. One note, we were going to use Guinness but it is not vegetarian as it is fined with isinglass. We used a vegetarian stout available from Sainsbury's, called Titanic. As served at Canteen on Clifton Street, Cardiff.
- 500 ml stout
- 500 ml double cream
- 200 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Vanilla pod
- 200 g 72% chocolate
- Moderately Easy Version - Boil 250 ml stout until reduced by one-third, add the cream and vanilla pod and scald.
- Whisk together the egg yolks with 150 g of sugar until pale, then whisk in the scalded cream and stout mixture to the yolks. Return to the pan and heat gently until thickened. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Melt the chocolate and whisk in to the custard. This chocolate custard can be poured into glasses and refrigerated until set.
- Take the other 250 ml of stout and 50 g of sugar and reduce until a nice syrup is left. Cool.
- Once the custard is set pour on a thin layer of stout syrup and top with cream to give the effect of a stout. If you use Guinness the chocolate custard will be darker and give more of a stout impression.
- Easy Version - Once stout has reduced by one-third, add one tin of condensed milk and boil for two minutes. Then take off the heat and whisk in the chocolate to melt.
- Beat the cream to soft peeks and once the stout-chocolate has cooled, whisk in the cream in batches. Pour this mix into the glasses and refrigerate and allow to set. Top as per the moderately easy version.
- If you use an ice-cream machine, you can turn either mix into a lovely ice cream. You'd probably need more sugar to sweeten the mix.