Cheesy cod pie
Member recipe by claire23007
Simple and adaptable cod pie with a cheese sauce, topped with mashed potato
- 2lb cod fillet or cod loin, skinless
- 2lb potatoes, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz flour
- 1 pt milk
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 230C/fan 210C/gas 8. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the cod until it starts to flake, approximately 5 mins each side depending on thickness of the fish.
- Boil the potatoes until soft (about 10-15 mins) and mash. Season to taste. Simmer the carrots in a small amount of water for 5 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce: melt the butter in a pan. Add the flour and stir over a low heat for 1 minute. Add the milk a little bit at a time, stirring continuously. Continue to cook the sauce, stirring all the while, until it starts to thicken. Add 4 oz of the cheese and cook for a further minute until the cheese has melted. Add pepper to taste.
- Butter a pie dish. Break the fish into large flakes and place evenly in the bottom of the dish. Add the carrots, and the parsley if using. Pour the cheese sauce over the fish and carrots. Top with the mashed potato, using a fork to spread evenly and make a pattern on top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the top is light brown. Serve with vegetables or a hearty salad.