Crab in Cream Sauce
Member recipe by pam123
- 50 Gram Butter (2 oz)
- 25 Gram Plain flour (2 oz)
- 180 ml Milk (6 fl oz)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground mace
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 225 Gram Fresh or frozen crab meat (8 oz)
- 2 Tablespoon Double cream
- 50 Gram Fresh white breadcrumbs (2 oz)
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt 25g (1 oz) of the butter in a heavy 900 ml (1 1/2 pint) saucepan. Stir in the flour and amalgamate well. Slowly stir in the milk and boil gently to make a smooth thick sauce.
- Stir in the mace, salt and pepper. Mix in all the crab and bring just to the boil. Stir in the cream and check the seasoning. Pour into 4 small buttered ovenproof dishes and sprinkle each with breadcrumbs and then Parmesan cheese. The dishes can wait in the refrigerator for several hours before cooking
- Dot the top of each dish with the remaining butter and stand the small dishes in 1 cm ( 1/2 inch) of water in a baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F Gas 6. The tops should be crisp and golden brown and the crab thick and creamy.