Spinach with cottage cheese
Member recipe by aazmeen
An easy recipe for an extremely popular and delicious, rich in iron, Indian vegetarian main course dish !
- 6 bunches, spinach leaves
- 2 onions, chopped and sauted (to look transluscent)
- 6 green chillies
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 150 gms Paneer, cubed (cottage cheese)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 pinch, soda bi-carb (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil / Ghee
- 1 dessert-spoon Butter (optional)
- Cut off the stems from the Spinach leaves and wash the leaves carefully. Blanch them in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes, adding a pinch a soda-bicarb to ensure that the colour of the spinach doesn't run. Drain the water and cool the spinach.
- In a blender, puree the sauted onions, spinach, coriander, chillies and cumin seeds, with a little water, till it is smooth.
- In a pan / skillet, heat some oil / ghee, and lightly fry the paneer cubes. Remove the goldenish paneer cubes from the pan and keep aside.
- In the skillet, add the pureed spinach on a medium flame adding about a cup of water (if you want it of a thinner consistency). Add salt to taste and let it remain on the fire, till little bubbles start to appear. Add a tablespoon of butter, for a delicious taste.
- Now add the paneer to the Spinach.
- Serve hot with Parathas / Naan / Chapatis / Rotis.