Mimosa cake (Woman's Day)
Member recipe by campodifragole
Sponge, cream and lemon curd cake doused with liqueur in the form of a Mimosa
- Sponge cake cut into slices, reserve some to cut into cubes
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 200 ml lemon curd
- Limoncello or another liqueur you prefer
- For the lemon curd:
- 5 egg yolks,
- 150 g sugar,
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind,
- 170 ml lemon juice,
- 180 unsalted butter, chopped
- Line a semi-sepherical bowl with plastic film. Then line it with a thick layer of the sponge and sprinkle it with the liqueur of your choice. Pop it in the fridge for 2 hours so it sets firm.
- Now take it out and fill a quarter of the interior with the whipped cream then half with lemon curd and the remaining quarter with whipped cream (not all as some is needed for later). Return it once more to the frdge so it can set frimly. When done take it out, flip it over and using the film you can remove it from the bowl. Use the rest of the whipped cream to cover the cake. You could even make a mixture of 3/4 cream and 1/4 of lemon curd to cover it if you preferred. To finish it all you need do is decorate it with the small sponge cubes you made at the beginning.
- For the lemon curd:Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Strain into a heatproof bowl. Add lemon rind, juice and butter. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water - don't let the bowl sit in the water. Stir over 20 minutes until the mixture thikens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Cool before using