Crusty Picnic Pies
Member recipe by nancygrady
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Pies
A perfect picnic pack up, simple and convenient, no messing about with pastry, a crusty bread casing with a filling to satisfy any hungry picnicker.
- For the Pies
- Olive Oil
- 14 Slices of Granary Bread
- 8 Pork Sausages/ 450g Sausage meat
- 3 Rasher of Un-smoked Bacon
- 2 Small Red Onions
- 150g Cabbage
- Black Pepper
- To Garnish
- 8 tsps Apple Sauce
- 1 Small Apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- Pre heat oven to 200c/180F/Gas 6.
- Line 4 pudding moulds which are similar in size to a traditional pork pie, approx. 11cm in diameter and 6cm deep, with tin foil ensuring excess over the sides and grease with olive oil in order to prevent sticking.
- Prepare the bread by removing the crusts from 6 slices and cutting each into two strips 2cm by 10cm, place to one side. With 4 slices of the bread cut out circles using a pastry cutter 7cm in diameter, this will create the bottoms of the pies. For the pie tops take the remaining 4 slices of bread, turn the pudding mould upside down and cut around in order to create a circle of bread which will fit neatly on to the top of the pie.
- Thoroughly drizzle one side of each piece of bread with olive oil. Line the moulds using the 7cm circle of bread oil side down in the bottom of the mould, and the strips (3 strips for each pie) around the edge, trimming of the third strip of bread maybe required. Ensure the edges of the bread over lap and press the 'seams' together. Place the larger bread circles to one side until the pie has been filled.
- Finley dice the red onions and finely shred the cabbage. Using a pair of suitable kitchen scissors cut the bacon into 1cm squares.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a fry pan on a medium heat, approx 1 minute, and then fry the onion and bacon for 3 minutes, until they are starting to turn golden. Add the shredded cabbage and cook on a medium heat for a further 2 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the sausagemeat from the skins and place in a bowl, season with black pepper, salt is not required. When the bacon mixture has cooled slightly, mix together with the sausagemeat ensuring even distribution of all ingredients.
- Now evenly distribute the mixture between the 4 bread lined moulds, gently pressing down to ensure all mixture is firmly in the mould. Now drizzle some olive oil around the top edge of bread and then place larger circle of bread on top and firmly press the edges together, repeat for each pie. Wrap the excess tin foil over the top of the bread pies and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove from the oven and spread 2 tsps of apple sauce over each pie and arrange the apple slices on top. Place back in to oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot or if required for a picnic remove from tin foil and allow to cool.