Beef in port
Member recipe by sammyandmel
- 500g casserole beef
- seasoned flour for dusting
- Port - about half a bottle
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 -2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 handfuls of button mushrooms (optional)
- veg or groundnut oil for frying - a couple of glugs
- Dust the meat in the flour, shaking off any excess. Heat the oil in a large casserole pan and brown the meat in batches over a high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon
- Reduce the heat and add the onion and celery to the pan and soften before returning the beef to the pan. Add the port and cook uncovered on a high heat for a few minutes. Add the ketchup and some salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for a couple of hours on a very low heat - add the mushrooms half an hour before the end if using. It is mandatory to serve with mash.